Dennis Ritchie remembered


Dennis Ritchie, creator of UNIX Operating System and the 'C' programming language passed away recently.

A Turning award winner, we will always remember him for bringing us pure joy through the simplicity of 'C' and the flexibility of UNIX.

Ritchie was one of my virtual mentors and a guru in my life. My early career was defined by my passion for the work that he did along with other UNIX and 'C' pioneers at Bell Labs and UC Berkeley.

A very nice article on Ritchie appeared in
the Hindu newspaper.

Recently I was clearing boxes in my home and I stumbled upon the book, "The C programming language" that he co-authored with Brian Kernighan. What a beautiful, simple book it was, where he walked us through the beauty of the C programming language very crisply.

I fondly recall my days at University of Texas Austin, where we wrote C code for the version of the UNIX operating system created by UC Berkeley. I negotiated with my wife that this book would make it to the dumpster only when left this world!

That's the least I could do to remember this wonderful purist, Dennis Ritchie.